Monday, March 7, 2011

Gill Getter's and V.1 hot butt ant

I tied up a dozen gill getters last night after my son went to bed. They are a fairly easy tie and they went by quickly. I also messed around a bit wanting to make a floating version of the glass bead ants I posted earlier. I wanted to try something a little different and instead of using foam for the head I used a floating yarn. I think V 1.2 is going to have a foam head and I'll see which I like better. The rest of the ant is moose mane for the tail, red foam with red antron yarn wrapped underneath, floating yarn head, and hackle for the wing. I also considered mixing in a little of the white polypropylene floating yarn into the wing as well. What do you guys think? Leave it with and try a foam head, foam head and white yarn mixed in wing, or leave it the way it is?

I also found an awesome roll top desk on craigslist. It's oak and huge, definately big enough to fit all my tying supplies and would be big enough to build a rod on. I sent an email to the seller today so here's to hoping to hear back from them so I can pick up a new tying station.

Photobucket

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. I just started tying ants the other day with foam and of course I love foam! I think yours turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I'm interested to see how it looks with a foam head. I also ordered some smaller scud hooks from Allen Fly fishing I might try them on those to give it some shape.

    ReplyDelete